Image Map

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Gluten-Free Lactation Cookies


Lately we have been chocolate chip cookie addicts around here. We bought a jumbo bag of chocolate chips from Costco and have been baking up a storm. My hubby has even made a few batches and he is not normally a baker. I think we have tried 4 or 5 different recipes in the past few months and I have been meaning to make some lactation cookies since I was pregnant. Kinda happy I waited though since I am currently eating gluten free (and dairy free and soy free), for the baby girl. The bag of chocolate chips was getting kinda low so I decided it was time. It also turned out to be a great week for it since I started the 30 day shred, and with starting any new work out routine I always get a little concerned about my milk supply dipping. So perfect timing all around.

I drew inspiration from a few different recipes as well as did some research on lactation cookies and some of the "natural" sugar alternatives out there these days. Turns out they really aren't any better for you then sugar and some are worse, so I went with honey. I didn't want them to be too crazy in the points department so I tried to make them as healthy as possible.

Lactation cookies help support breast milk supply through the oats and the brewer's yeast. The flax seeds contain Omega 3s. Everything just makes them tasty. If you are eating them to boost supply you should notice a difference after eating a couple each day for a few days.



Gluten Free Lactation Cookies

Makes 3 dozen

1 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp coconut oil
 3/4 cup honey
1 egg
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons flax seeds
2 tablespoons brewer's yeast

1: Combine rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
2: In a separate bowl mix together coconut oil, honey, egg, applesauce, and vanilla.
3: Then add dry mixture to the wet mixture.
4: Stir in flax seeds and brewer's yeast
5: Add oats and chocolate chips
6: Place on baking sheet or stone and bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.

For those interested, I added these to the weight watcher's recipe builder and these came out to be 2 points+ a piece (other lactation cookies i have tried were 5 points+ each, so 2 isn't bad IMO).





5 comments:

  1. I am making these tonight! My husband is military too, and we also cloth diaper/babywear/breast feed :)
    I am gluten/dairy free so I was excited to find this! Just had my daughter 2ish weeks ago

    ReplyDelete
  2. how many calories do u think one is? i tried this recipe and i love the way they came out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure on the calories. I did input the recipe into the weight watchers recipe builder and it came out to about 3 points+ for 2 cookies.

      Delete
  3. brewer's yeast is not gluten free, did you find a gluten free kind?

    ReplyDelete