Image Map

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Memorial Day 2014

I was really looking forward to Memorial Day weekend this year because my husband actually had the weekend off, so we got to spend lots of quality family time together. We have been really cherishing our time together lately because it has been so sparse. Luckily that will be changing soon, but for now we try to soak up every second we have together.

When we woke up on Monday, Aaden and I made some blueberry muffins. We used my absolute favorite recipe, but with a few tweaks based off what we had on hand. I recently picked up some coconut sugar, so I subbed that for white sugar. Some how we were out of both canola oil and regular flour. All I had in the cupboard was EVOO and some chick pea flour left over from my gluten free days. I was nervous about using both of those. I find EVOO does not typically taste well in baked goods. The last substitution I made was using ghee instead of butter. All I can say is wow! They were so good and I felt just a tiny bit less guilty eating two of them.

We spent most of the day hanging around the house. The kiddos got a good nap in and then we took a quick trip to the park. We have been exploring all the parks in our new surroundings, and I have to say they have all been lovely. The one we went to Monday though was amazing and we had so much fun together. We brought Aaden's scooter with us. Since he has not quite mastered the art of scooting yet, I hopped on it with him. 



I loved getting that little bit of one on one time with him. I admit that it has been a real struggle trying to balance my time between both kids.

Averlee had fun get pushed around in the stroller with her Daddy.


When we got home, we were so hungry we ate dinner up before I could get a picture of it. I did take a picture of a previous night that we had grilled, so lets just pretend. haha.

 

We also made cherry limeades to drink.


The last addition to our table were some lovely red, white and blue flowers my son picked out from Trader Joe's.


I hope you had a wonderful weekend enjoying family and good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment